Monday, July 03, 2006

Thomas has got me into God

I mean I have always believed that there is a being looking down on us controlling to a certain extent what we do and I have also always believed that Jesus was a great man who performed miracles to people who needed them. However there have been parts of the Christian religion that I don't really believe in, but I have realized from what Thomas said to me the other day. You don't have to take everything the bibles says to be true I mean it was written hundreds of years ago and some stuff doesn't really fit into how society functions today. So it has made me realizes that it is ok to say that I disagree with certain stuff like how the world was created. But yet still be religious and think about the stuff I do agree with. Nick if you are reading this I no you will now say there is no reason why I can't come church and you right. However I think the real reason why I don't come church isn't because I don't believe in God because deep down I always have I think it is how people round be will react. I mean my family are not really religious and they all ready think I am weird enough already and I no this is not a good enough reason not to follow something you believe in. I mean I have been arguing that the voting age should be lowered to give people more rights and I haven't been using my own rights to be an individual I feel so hypercritical. But at least I have realized my mistakes and can now act how I feel.

5 Comments:

At 12:41 am, Blogger Roz Lynch said...

You just want a bible like Thomas'..its all about the accessories...lol...if u do u can have Dean's youth bible he said he left it there and you can have it...what with him not being a youth anymore

 
At 8:41 am, Blogger Keeley said...

i have a bible so that aint the reason lol

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger Thomas said...

hypercritical.....good word!

 
At 11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with you on that.. i think the bible is a representation for what happened and how the world begun etc. i find it hard to take it literally but i still consider my self a christian.

 
At 7:59 am, Blogger nick said...

whoever sarah's 'with', i'm with sarah! when it comes to the bible some of its literal, some of its not and while it would be a lot easier if it was neatly 'labelled up', it's not and it wouldn't be half as much fun!

the other day i was in a local school as part of a faith in school project. one of the children asked 'how much of what the bible teaches do you practice?' At which point i thought 'FLIP?! why isn't lisa doing this gig?!' the honest answer was i'm not sure because much of it i struggle to understand/accept, while the stuff i do understand i often make a mess of trying to live out - but i try! (like most of my school reports used to testify - 'could do better'!).

but like sarah i would be bold enough to say i'm still a christian - that is someone who believes enough in this guy Jesus to want to live like/follow him.

as for the whole church/being weird thing i'd have to say nevermind that(!) it would spoil a lot of my fun winding you up about coming at 10:45 if you actually did come! but i hope you know that i am usually kidding!

don't get me wrong i would encourage anyone to get along to the army at poplar as it is such a healthy kind of church without the baggage and preconceived notions of what 'church' is or has become, but for me 'church' can be wherever people get together regardless of age, opinion, background, colour or class to recognise who God is, to try to know more about who she/he is, and to better understand our relationship with each other and the world around us. and that, 'church', can happen anywhere and at anytime. it could be at 10:45 on a sunday or it could be 8pm on a tuesday; it could involve singing songs or sharing a coffee; it could be a 'church' building or at starbucks (or an ethical version of strabucks - obviously!) or nandos. anyway, i mustn't prattle on!

bottom-line: there are worse things than being 'weird', I mean people might think you are 'normal' - how bad would that be?! who wants to be 'normal'? who decides who's 'normal/weird' anway?

i better stop now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home